When an 18 year old takes a walk with her more or less annoying mother



Lakefront Park at about 8pm on an August evening, dog in tow:

--I'm glad my friend finally told me what he wanted to tell me.

--Was it hard? Did it hurt your feelings?

--No, it was nothing bad.

--But you guessed right in what you thought he was going to say?

--Ya.

--Well, I'm glad for you. Having to wait to hear something that somebody wants to tell you could drive you kind of nuts, not knowing what it is...whether it's good or bad.

--It wasn't bad.

-- But you're not going to tell me what he told you... soooo, we need to move on to a new topic. Silence as FiFi stops to smell a spot in the grass. --It's amazing the smells that dogs can sense.  More silence as we walk on.

--Life is just going too fast. At the beginning of the summer I was happy. Now the summer is almost over.

--Well, today it is still summer. The more moments you can stop and appreciate in a day, the longer the days will seem to last. And today it's warm. It's not 10 degrees below zero. Treasure today. It's sticky and sweaty, but it's a waste when people wish for cooler weather, jeans, jackets, and bonfires, when we have today and it's still summer.  Let yourself sweat and love the sweat, because in a few months... Fifi has to stop again. A drum beat and music are coming from up ahead.

--I wish I had something to talk about but I just don't.

--That's perfectly ok.  Sometimes we just need to soak in what's around us. In a hushed voice: Look! A great blue heron! See him?

--Where? Oh, there.

--And look at how he is silhouetted. The sun's rays are creating a beam on the water and he's just off to one side of it. What a picture this is! Both the humans and the dog stop and face the water.

--Ok, Mom.

--No, I mean, sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm not looking at a photograph. That I am really seeing what I am seeing. More stopping for FiFi to take in the smells of the park. The humans taking in the vision of the heron still as a statue in the shallows of the river.  At my age I have seen so much of the world, so much of it through pictures. But this is real and I get to be part of the experience. For somebody up on the road behind us, they are seeing me see the heron next to the sun's reflection on the water. I have been painted into this picture now. Part of their reality, and I may not even know it. 

--Mom, I get it. Can we keep walking? Moves ahead and decides to stop stopping for the dog.

--But the beauty of this moment...

--Mom...

Rounding the bend of the path, they reach the  beach house and swimming area. A gull is neatly perched on the tip of a swimming area bouy that is bobbing up and down from the waves of a passing boat. --See the gull?

--Yes, I see it. It's clear now where the music is coming from...and what type of music it is.

--If I'm not mistaken, that's an Elvis impersonator giving a concert in the band shell tonight. In full Elvis garb, a crooner with a back up band begins a somewhat accurate rendition of "Return to Sender" --And the crowd is huge...this is a first...


--I'm going home now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to Dharma

The Miracle of the Hand, Part One by Julie Elias with Gary Bird

The Miracle of the Hand, Part 2